**Note** This recipe has been corrected. Previously it called for 2 sticks or 1/2 cup of butter. It should read, 2 sticks or 1/2 POUND of butter.**
This is the classic vanilla flavored sugar cookie recipe I use for most all of my cookies. This cookie recipe is pretty much no-fail. It will produce a roll-out cookie that will always retain its shape when baked. You can chill the cut cookies before you bake or skip the chilling and pop them right into the oven. You end up with a soft cookie with a firm bite and it will be lightly sweetened with a soft vanilla flavor. The intensity and quality of your vanilla flavor will be dependent on the vanilla flavoring or extract you use. You can also skip the extract and use pure vanilla beans or a vanilla bean paste for an even better vanilla flavor. Since the cookie itself is lightly sweetened, it is perfect for the addition of royal icing or buttercream.
- 1/2 pound or 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar or Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Flavoring or Extract
- 4-4 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt (optional)
- Cream the butter, confectioner’s sugar, and granulated sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and vanilla flavoring and mix to combine.
- Add 1 cup of flour and the salt and mix to combine.
- Add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, and mix to combine.
- After 4 cups of flour have been added, if the dough is too sticky, add an additional 1/2 cup.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies in desired shapes.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 9 minutes.