This is a recipe for roll-out cookies that have the flavors of fall you love. Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, and clove give these cookies the perfect amount of spice that remind you of pumpkin pie. The cookie has just enough flavor to be perfect on its own, or you can decorate them with royal icing or buttercream. To create this recipe, I simply modified my classic vanilla sugar cookie recipe to incorporate the spices and pumpkin puree. The recipe is below and at the end of the post is a video for this recipe.
To decorate these cookies, I’m just using a vanilla flavored royal icing. These pumpkins are simple to decorate that even if you are a beginner, you can decorate them. First outline and flood the center segment of your cookie. Let this crust for about 20 minutes and then outline and fill the outer two segments. I’m using a 15 second consistency icing for this.
To finish the cookie, use a thicker royal icing to pipe the stem of the cookie. Let these dry for about 8-12 hours before stacking or bagging.
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioner’s or powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 Tbsp vanilla flavoring or extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cinnamon, ginger, and clove to 4 cups of all-purpose flour and mix to combine. Set this aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the butter, granulate sugar, and confectioner’s sugar and mix to combine until it is creamy and smooth.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin puree until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture one cup at a time and mix well to combine. After all the flour has been incorporated, turn out the dough onto a floured work surface.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut with your preferred cookie cutters.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 9 minutes.
Watch the video below to see how to make these cookies.